Tuesday 22 December 2009

Crawshawbooth paintings


Earlier this year I was commissioned to paint some scenes of Crawshawbooth in Rossendale. It was nice to focus my attention on the area where I grew up. Rossendale is full of terraced houses built in fabulous sandstone. As soon as I started to paint I could feel memories start to flood back, just from the colour of a stone or the shape of a window. I painted 9 paintings in all, many of them catching the low lying mist of the valley in winter. I felt that as I progressed my palette improved and I really captured the colours and atmosphere of that small part of the valley.

I am know looking to paint some more of Rossendale, maybe starting in Stacksteads where I lived the first 10years of my life.

Of the 9 paintings 7 have now sold to private collectors and the remaining two will hopefully help me secure an exhibition at the Haworth Art Gallery in Accrington later next year. I may also make available some limited edition prints of the paintings.

The snow has just eased and I may venture out into the Xmas madness to continue my studio move.

No comments:

Post a Comment